Friday, July 25, 2008

Vegemite

(I want to apologize to the Australians that might read this blog).

My son's girlfriend just got back from two weeks in Australia. She was part of this. She had a wonderful time, saw so many fabulous Australian attractions. She brought back souvenirs for everyone, amazing pictures and this...

OMG this doesn't taste good (not to us Canadians anyways). But I know it's because we were not brought up on this stuff. We have dishes here in our culture that no one else wants to try so I perfectly understand that the people from Australia love this spread. I just had to research the stuff on the internet to know what it was made of. Check it out.

A little jar will go a very long way !

7 comments:

Shelby said...

I wonder if it could be used as a flavoring/seasoning in gravies? I have never had this, but it sounds something similar to savorex.

Vickie LeBlanc said...

honeyb - I asked Liette (my son's girlfriend) tonight if they said how it could be used and she said they had mentioned something about good in gravy - so you're on the right track.

southseaislandhome said...

We have it here in NZ too! Yum yum! The trick is to feed it to your babies on bread when they're eating solids and they grow up liking it. It's a really great gravy flavouring and adds colour to pale gravies too. Just put a teaspoon in when you're making your gravy. The taste isn't overpowering. I love it on toast with lashings of butter!
Rachel L from NZ

Cathy said...

Hello Vickie
Not nice to make fun of our beloved Vegemite lol

Rachel has the right idea - on hot buttered toast it is the best thing since sliced bread

The trick is not to have it too thick.

Now while we're on the subject of weird and wonderful foods - there's that weird (read revolting) stuff some of our NS cousins like - whats its name?
Oh yes Dulce lol

Take care
Cathy

Kim said...

We can buy it here but I don't think I will try it now LOL. Thanks for the review - let us know if it works in gravy.

George said...

Chiming in here after a google search wondering if a Nova Scotian fella can buy vegemite hereabouts....Halifax?

My sis(who is in Brisbane)sent me a Aussie care package including vegemite. Dang....I love it! To add a Maritime Canadian touch to it I`ve been eating it on Christie premium Plus crackers. MMMMMM.

I suppose I could get C to send me more or order some via Ebay but a local specialty shop would make it easier. Any suggestions?

Vickie LeBlanc said...

George - thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment. Did you check at Pete's Frootique ? I haven't seen it anywheres in Nova Scotia...yet. I might try it again to see if I like it better with butter on the bread :-) (as my fellow blogger friends from down under have suggested).