Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Food week : Lunch

Our gracious hostess is asking to see our favorite recipe for lunch. Here's mine.

Black Beans and Rice


(Google Image - this image is not at all what this dish looks like, I just wanted to add a picture to my post)

Don't be fooled by the simple ingredients in this recipe. Thinking that it could be taste-less. Believe me, it's very tasty and delicious (at least I think so). I make this dish at least once in two weeks - making about five lunches for the work week. If you're like me and don't eat meat, black beans are the perfect addition to your diet.

Black Beans and Rice

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup uncooked white basmati rice
1.5 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1.5 cups black beans, drained

In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the rice and sauté for 2 minutes.

Add the vegetable broth and cumin, bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add the black beans.

Enjoy !

Hop-on over to Sherrie's blog for a list of participants in Food Week.

6 comments:

Shelby said...

Sounds great! I love the flavor of cumin!

Alli said...

Sounds delicious! Perfect for the Mexican in my house! :) I will definitely try this one.

Kathy said...

Basmati and black beans, you just can't go wrong. This one is a keeper. thanks.

Barb said...

This sounds too delish. I'm going to give this one a try tomorrow for lunch. Barb xo

Stacey J. said...

I love cummin. mmm.

Sherrie said...

Yum! I remember the first time I made this, and I was so surprised by all of the flavour, too! :)