Thursday, August 7, 2008

Yoga and Nature

6:30 a.m. Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - waiting for my ride (fellow yogi Debbie) to head out to the much anticipated yoga/nature retreat at Birchdale Lake. Debbie and I were only able to attend for one day this year (the retreat last two weeks) but we are definetely making plans to go for one week next year. We drove 87km in the woods, so yes, this is very much a nature retreat :-)

We did'nt want to miss-out on this very special guest ...

Yogiji - a guru from India. He might look serious in this picture (picture borrowed from Kerry Lawson's website) but he is a very bubbly and friendly person.

Above - Debbie posing in front of the building where we had our 3 asana practices and 1 pranayama practice.

Below - yours truly in front of one of the cabins. If we seem overly dressed and wrapped in blankets it's because it was 7 degrees when we got there at 7:45 a.m. It went up to 17 in the afternoon sun. We had a fabulously sunny day.

We had 3 asana practices during the day and the evening ended with a pranayama exercise. In between the sessions it was free time i.e. nature hikes, swimming in the lake, canoe, biking, talking with newly made friends, etc. or just laying in the hammock, reading and waking up with your book fallen to the ground...

Meals were a group effort. All meals were prepared and eaten in the main lodge.



However, I must comment that the most important thing that I've gotten out of this retreat is that I'm not as conscious ''in the moment'' as I thought I was. Yesterday made me realize that and I want to work on it.

Yogiji saved the best for last - the pranayama session. If you breathe properly - you'll be in the moment...

BREATHE my friends but don't forget to smile :-) !!!

6 comments:

Sebrina Wilson said...

Wow!!! Looks like a wonderful experience :)

Christina said...

Sounds like you had a great time.
Thank you for the comment on my blog. No I don't quilt but am a knitter so I appreciate the workmanship and art that they present. I love 'practical' art. Too bad I missed it, maybe next time.

COLLEEN said...

I would LOVED to have attended the yoga retreat with you; it looks like it was amazing. Lucky you.

Barb said...

That looks wonderfully tranquil, relaxing, peaceful all adjectives that are not in my vocabulary at present. Soon very soon.

Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself. Hope you are well rested. Breathe a little for me. B

Kim said...

Wow that sounds so cool. I am glad you enjoyed it.

JoyceAnn said...

Sounds like a wonderful retreat , glad you enjoyed yourself. Sometimes we need that peace and tranquility.

~ Blessings ~
JoyceAnn