Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Prized possessions

After reading my niece's blog post of today it made me stop and think about the things I have in my home that are priceless to me... some have been with me for a number of years, some for only months but no matter what - they will always be my prized possessions. I know, I know, you're saying ''where are the pictures of her children, her wedding pictures, etc''. Yes, my home is full of pictures of my two beautiful children and I have an entire photo album from my wedding. I also have numerous gifts given to me by my children and husband and these gifts are perfectly placed at different loctions in our home so as to admire them each and every day. But I have objects that are outstanding in my heart... they make me DREAM !

Here are a few of my most prized possessions (I will post more later) :

In February 2006 my cousin, Aurèl Comeau, offered to teach and help me make this deer skin drum. I hope he know's (I've told him numerous times) how much I appreciated his kindness. He is a very talented person.

Ten years ago, my dear husband made this hutch for me. It is made from driftwood we found while beachcombing together along our beaches.

A very good friend of my father's, Ulysse Maillet is a master basket weaver (and many, many more talents). Unfortunately, he now reside's in a special care facility. Fifteen years ago, he offered me this beautiful basket. I feel honored to have received one because he did'nt give away his master pieces to just anyone.

On one of his trips to France, my husband, Dave, brought me back these beautiful seashells he had hand picked on the beaches of a small remote island in France. This was 13 years ago and I can still smell the ocean when I open the jar. Wasn't this an amazing gift !

I know I mentioned in my intro that pictures did'nt really count but this one does. I was 16 when my father died. We were fishing buddies. This is the only picture I have of him and me (it might be difficult to figure out the content of the picture. He is holding me in his hands, I'm just a wee baby).

When I was one year old my parents bought the house that I've always known as home. It was a gigantic house (3 levels) full of antiques, books and hidden treasures. My parents cleared a lot of the stuff they would'nt be using - my mom kept this book. She wanted to give it to her first child that would graduate from high school. I got the book. It dates back to the 1800's and it is in very bad shape. I keep it stored in a trunk. Don't know if you can see in the picture but I wrote my name on the cover, with a pen (when I was a little girl, I loved to play school and this was the teacher's book I guess).

Oh boy, this one dates back. This tiny cup and saucer was given to me by my godmother as an Easter gift. If my memory serves me right, I think I was around 7 years old.

Sorry for the bad picture. My maternal grandparents' marriage license.

My very special and favorite aunt, tante Angèle, died 5 years ago. This little pin cushion belonged to her.

Another treasure from the house my parents bought when I was one year old. This was ''the special plate''. On special occasions my mom would let my brother and I use this plate (each our turn). Three years ago, my mom was giving away items for a yard sale and I just happened to glance in one of the boxes and there it was ''the plate''. She was giving it away. Oh no, no - the plate now hangs pretty on my kitchen wall.

I am a very sentimental person. Every item has a story, thank you for listening (reading).

2 comments:

COLLEEN said...

I am just so thrilled to be the inspiration for this blog; thank you for the mention.
I absolutely love your special "prized possessions"; and I love that each one has a special story to go with it. Lovely. The tea cup and saucer has also given me an idea of what to get Jayla as a special gift next year - I think 7 years old is the perfect age to receive a special cup and saucer just for her.

Vickie LeBlanc said...

You've been a huge inspiration to me for the past couple of years. Thank you very much. That's a great idea to get Jayla her very own special tea cup and saucer.