Thursday, September 20, 2007

One tonne challenge


Cleaning my magazine rack last evening I found my booklet I had acquired from the Canadian Government on the One tonne challenge they had issued in 2004.

At the time the government was urging Canadians to :

- take public transit more often - i live in a very rural area; we only have one single taxi so public transit other then that taxi is out of the question.... at least in my lifetime. I use my bike as often as I can.
- idle vehicles less - i've never idled my vehicle and never will. Sometimes in the dead of winter, i'll idle for no more then 5 minutes. However, i'm as guilty as anyone else - i go through the Tim Horton's drive thru a few times a week.
- use programmable thermostats - sorry.
- seal windows with caulking and weather-stripping - we do, even before the one-tonne challenge.
- compost - i was composting before it became a trend. At the time, the village people looked at me kinda strange with what I was doing with my food scraps.
- support green energy - i support it, wish I could afford to transform my 200 year old home.
- water and energy conservation - i do my best and at times... more then my best. With the challenge, we replaced all lightbulbs in the house with the energy savers. We got rid of the dishwasher. I do laundry on a need basis. Never, ever will I use water to wash the car, water the lawn or gardens.
- purchase electronics that are labeled with Energy Star logo - no electronics but we bought a window with the Energy Star logo. First window purchase in 27 years... there will be more in the coming year.
- recycle - Stephen Harper, do you need to ask. It's me, the recycle maniac at the wheel. That's why i'm the Frenchy Addict - i reuse clothes that are already out there. Nova Scotia is known to be on top of the list in Canada for good behavior and Canada (so they say) is tops in the world.

The biggest decision we made for the challenge was get rid of one car. We made do with only one vehicle.

In the summer, we grow our own organic fruits and veggies. We buy as local as possible. No pesticides on our property - all homemade insecticides for our veggie gardens.

Most important of all - WE RESPECT MOTHER EARTH !!! If we take something away from her, we give something back.

I know, i know, i don't usually write a whole bunch of stuff on my blog. I prefer pictures to writing but I felt this needed to be shared (and please note, most of this is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion).

I will leave you with the statement that I hear way too often and that runs chills down my spine everytime I hear it "do you actually think that the little bit I will do is going to help". DARN YES - have you ever heard the saying "every little bit helps" !!!!!

No comments: